The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) provides basic and advanced life support to patients in the pre-hospital emergency setting. Specific EMT functions include: establishment and maintenance of airway; administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); control of hemorrhage; treatment of shock; immobilization of fractures; bandaging of wounds; assisting in childbirth; management of patients with behavioral disorders; and initiation of treatment for poisoned and burned victims. Graduates are qualified to take the National Registry Examination for certification as an EMT- Basic and EMT-Intermediate (I-85) and may apply for work with an ambulance service.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- Certificate of Competence – Emergency Medical Technician (13 credits)
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Emergency Medical Technician with an ambulance service.
- Employers: Positions for EMTs are readily available in Hawai‘i.
- Island of O‘ahu Cohort Applicants: 808.734.9288; Fax:808.734.9126
- Island of Maui Cohort Applicants: Maui EMS Training Center; 808.244.4063
- Island of Hawai‘i Cohort Applicants: Hawai‘i EMS Training Center; 808.935.8002
Download forms & documents at the EMT Program Toolbox.