The Mobile Intensive Care Technician (MICT) which is also known as the Paramedic (EMT-P). Certification as an EMT is a prerequisite to the MICT program. The MICT is prepared to perform advanced life support functions in the pre-hospital emergency setting under the direction of a medical doctor. In addition to all functions performed by an EMT, a MICT performs advanced functions such as administering intravenous fluids; administering medication; performing endotracheal intubation; recording and reading electrocardiograms; and using the cardiac monitor defibrillator. Graduates are qualified to take the National Registry Examination for certification as an EMT-P and can apply for work with an ambulance service.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- Associate in Science – Mobile Intensive Care Technician (Paramedic) (77-80 credits)
- Certificate of Achievement – Mobile Intensive Care Technician (44 credits)
The requirements listed in the catalog at the time of entry into the program are the ones you must fulfill for graduation. You also have the option to meet the requirements listed in subsequent catalogs. However, if you choose this option, you cannot combine requirements from two or more catalogs. For example, if you entered the program in fall 2010, you can fulfill the requirements in either the fall 2010 catalog or the fall 2011 catalog. However, you cannot combine requirements from both. If you leave the program for a semester or more, you must fulfill the requirements in effect at the time of or subsequent to your re-entry. For example, if you entered the program in fall 2010, took a hiatus in spring 2011, and returned in fall 2011, you must fulfill the requirements in the catalog for fall 2011 or later.
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Mobile Intensive Care Technician (MICT), Paramedic (EMT-P)
- Employers: Positions for MICTs are readily available in Hawaiʻi.
Download forms & documents at the MICT Program Toolbox.
- Prospective & Current Students: Follow Mobile Intensive Care Technician Admission Procedure.
- Island of Oahu Cohort Applicants: Phone:808.734.9288; Fax:808.734.9126