The AS degree for Educational Paraprofessionals with a concentration in Second Language Teaching (SLT) will prepare students to work as assistants with English as a Second Language (ESL) students in various classroom settings, including public and private, K-12 and adult education settings, locally and abroad. The program is intended to serve ESL teachers and assistants presently working in the field to update and refine their skills and individuals preparing for work in the field of ESL.
- Associate in Science – Educational Paraprofessional with a Concentration in Second Language Teaching (60-62 credits)
- Certificate of Competence in TESOL (21 credits)
The new A.A. with a Concentration in SLT is currently under development for students who wish to receive the traditional, undergraduate transfer degree, which includes the certificate in SLT. For additional info on this degree, please contact the SLT Program Coordinator, Shawn Ford.
Potential Careers and Employers
The SLT Program provides unique training for students who are interested in becoming second language tutors, second language teaching assistants, and – with further training – second language teachers, in various global contexts. Students focus on the language of their choice, depending on their career goals and interests. Our graduates can pursue careers – in various contexts – in public and private K-12 schools, adult education, private language schools and even schools of their own!
- Flagship community college in the University of Hawai‘i system
- Fully accredited
- Beautiful campus
- Student support services
- Small, personal class sizes
- Campus located near beautiful Waikiki Beach in Honolulu
- Based on TESOL best-practices
- Intuitive, practical, project-based
- Service Learning requirements
- 1-year OPT option for international students
- M.A. degrees in SLS/ TESOL
- Experienced teacher-trainers
- Published teacher-researchers
For CORE scholarship information go to the CORE Scholarships page.
- Program Coordinator: Shawn Ford, 808.734.9327
If you are passionate about learning to teach a second language, I highly recommend you experience the SLT Program at KCC. Do not just stay in a college classroom setting being told what it is like; get out into the real world of teaching and experience what it is like to teach. It will be a rewarding experience that you will never regret or forget.