Graduation and Commencement FAQ

Graduation FAQ

How do I confirm that I have met the requirements of my degree?
Contact your academic advisor to confirm that you have met all your degree requirements.

My graduation application was denied last semester. Do I have to submit a graduation application again?
If graduation is DENIED, a student must submit a new Application for Graduation if he/she wishes to graduate in a subsequent semester. The graduation fee is non-refundable but applicable to a future semester if graduation is denied.

What if I miss the application deadline?
If the graduation application is not turned in by the deadline, you must submit an application for the following semester.

Do I need to apply for graduation if I want to apply for Certificate of Completion or Competence?
If you are applying for Certificate of Completion or Competence, apply through the respective department.

I want to apply for my AA and AS degree, do I need to submit separate graduation application?
Yes, applying for multiple degrees must submit multiple application forms with fee.

What are the qualifications for Academic Honors?
3.50 cumulative GPA for all Kapi’olani Community College courses 100-level and above.

Can I request to mail my diploma?
If you are leaving the state of Hawai’i and will be unable to pick up your diploma in person, you may request that it be mailed to you. Please stop by at KISC Ilima 102 to complete a “Request to mail diploma” form.

When and where can I pick up my diploma?
Diplomas can be picked up at KISC in ‘Ilima 102 approximately 12 weeks after the end of the semester. All graduating students will be notified through email when their diploma is ready for pick up.

Can I request to print my diploma in Hawaiian language?
Yes. Hawaiian Language Diplomas may be ordered for an additional fee ($15.00). All writing will be in Hawaiian with the exception of the student’s name, degree, and major appearing in English. All diplomas will be issued in official cases.

How can I request for duplicate copy of my diploma?
You need to complete a “Request for Duplicate Copy of Degree or Certificate” and submit to KISC Ilima 102. Please READ carefully the instruction on the form.

I received a diploma, but I didn’t graduate. What do I do with the diploma?
Please return the diploma to KISC ‘Ilima 102.

Commencement FAQ

How to obtain my cap and gown for graduation?
From April 15th report to the KCC Bookstore to purchase your monarch blue cap, gown, tassel, collar (for women), and pick up formal graduation invitations.

When is the deadline to register/attend commencement?
The deadline to register/attend commencement is Friday, May 2, 2014.
Commencement Registration Form.

Why am I not in the commencement booklet?
All Summer, Fall, and Spring graduates will be in the commencement book. If your name is not in the commencement booklet, it is because you did not submit a graduation application.

Are there services for people with disabilities during commencement?
For disability accommodations, advance notice requested: Contact the Graduation Office at or 808.734.9532 at least one week prior to the event.

When does check-in and ceremony begin?
Report promptly with your cap and gown and check-in by your last name at the Gradaute Regsitraion desk at 5:00 P.M. at Ohia Cafeteria. Ceremony begins at 6:00 P.M. Please click here for more information.