Certificate of Competence – Pharmacy Technician
- Prepare pharmacy technicians for employment and for certification by taking the voluntary national examination administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
- Provide skills and competencies in the areas of
- assisting the pharmacist in serving patients.
- maintaining medication and inventory control systems.
- participation in the administration and management of pharmacy practice.
Certificate Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of the Certificate of Competence in Pharmacy Technician, the student should be able to:
- Function in the role of a primary pharmacy technician under the direction of the pharmacist.
- Receive prescription or medication orders and get all necessary and pertinent information to process the orders.
- Perform all types of calculations required to fill prescription and medication orders, including conversions of measurement systems.
- Correctly process precription/order forms.
- Compound prescription/medication orders as required.
- Completely and accurately record and document each phase of the process of filling, distributing, and obtaining reimbursements/payments for prescription/medication orders.
- List brand and generic names of a minimum of 200 commonly used prescription drugs, their uses, how they work, and side effects if any; correlate their actions with the functions of the body systems on which they act.
- Maintain medication and inventory control systems.
- Participate effectively in quality assurance programs.
- Participate in administration and management of pharmacy practice.