Registration begins on Monday, May 1, 2017 at 8:00am
2 sections offered:
Section 1: May 30, 2017 – July 11, 2017
Section 2: August 1, 2017 – September 5, 2017
This 24-hour course is for Registered Nurses (RNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) with a current professional license. The course prepares the Adult Residential Care Home (ARCH) caregiver to become familiar with the Hawai‘i Administrative Rules, Title 11, Chapter 100.1, which establishes minimum standards and requirements for the licensure of the ARCH.
The student will learn the basic requirements to successfully operate an ARCH and will include the expectations of record keeping for the ARCH business and ARCH residents by the Hawai‘i Department of Health, Office of Health Care Assurance.
The course includes a review of common health disorders in the elderly population, proper nursing assessment, interventions and documentation. Focus will be on using the social model of care to provide individualized care and activities for the ARCH residents. Care provided will include the self-determination and the preservation of dignity for the rest-of-life care.
Students enrolling in this course are required to attend all sessions. A Certificate of Participation is awarded when the course is successfully completed.
Admission into this course is on a First Come, First Served Basis. Once you register and pay the full tuition, you are enrolled. There is limited seating in each section. Please read the following important notes to prepare for enrollment in this course.
- Please bring a copy of Dept. of Health’s Hawai‘i Administrative Rules — Chapter 100.1. You may purchase a copy from the Office of Health Care Assurance. Cost is $15.00 (cashier’s check or money order only), payable to “State of Hawaii” and mailed to: Office of Health Care Assurance-State Licensing Section, 601 Kamokila Boulevard, Room 361, Kapolei, Hawai‘i 96707.
- The Chapter 100.1 Hawai‘i Administrative Rules must be brought to class on the first day of instruction.
- Students will also need to purchase the course module from the Kapi‘olani Community College Bookstore before the first day of class. The module will be ready for purchase in approximately one-month prior to course start date. Please bring your course registration receipt to be allowed to purchase. Cost is approximately $37.55. Please contact Martin Chong, at 734-9540, to confirm that the module handouts are ready. The bookstore is open 8:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday. Their phone number is 734-9589.
- Students must attend all classes. Tardiness or leaving early is not acceptable.
To enroll, please register online at www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/academics/continuing-education or in person by visiting the Continuing Education (Non-Credit) Registration Office in Manono 113 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, excluding State Holidays, 8am-4pm). If registering online, you will be prompted to enter in your nursing license number upon checking out. You MUST enter in your license number in order to complete your registration. If you will be registering in person at the office, please be sure to have your license number. If you have any questions about registration, please contact the Continuing Education Registration Office at 734-9211.
Curriculum & Tuition
|Title of Course||Course Fee||Course Number||Course Dates||Time||Location|
|Section 1: May 30, 2017 to July 11, 2017||$389||HLTH3320||Tuesdays: May 30, June 6, 13, 20, 27 July 11||2:00 – 600pm||Kopiko 242|
|Section 2: August 1, 2017 to September 5, 2017||$389||HLTH3320||Tuesdays: August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, September 5||2:00 – 600pm||Kopiko 242|
Upon satisfactory completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Understand the Hawai‘i Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 11, Chapter 100.1, for the general requirements to operate the Adult Residential Care Home
- Demonstrate competence in maintaining ARCH/Resident Records according to the provisions of Title 11, Chapter 100.1
- Exhibit knowledge in accessing appropriate community resources for information and support of the ARCH resident and caregivers
- Develop a plan of care, including individualized activities for each ARCH resident with the knowledge of the residents’ health disorder/condition
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate rest-of-life care for ARCH residents with emphasis on self determination and optimal care
Certificates & Licensure
Successful completion of this course is one of the requirements to be licensed as an ARCH primary caregiver. Licensing for an ARCH is conducted through the State of Hawaii, Department of Health, Office of Health Care Assurance, Licensing Section. Students completing this course successfully will be issued a Certificate of Participation.
NOTE: ALL COURSE DATES, TIMES, LOCATION AND OTHER INFORMATION MAY CHANGE WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO STUDENTS. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE COURSE DUE TO INSUFFICIENT ENROLLMENT OR FOR OTHER REASONS.