Dental Assisting Program FAQ’s

Should I consider dental assisting as a career?

Yes, if you are a team player; exhibit personal and professional self-assurance and compassion; have a friendly disposition, manual dexterity, and think logically; and above all a sincere desire to provide care to dental patients. For more information go to Then select ‘advanced search’ and type in your health science program of choice.

Is the program accredited?

Yes, the program in dental assisting is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation [and has been granted the accreditation status of “approval with reporting requirements”]. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440‐4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is:

Is certification available?

Yes. Graduates are eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB) national certification examination and become Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) after working full-time for two years as a dental assistant. Verification of work experience is required. For more information go to

What degrees and certificates do you offer?

Students can earn the Certificate of Competence after the first semester and the Certificate of Achievement after the second semester.

Kapi‘olani Community College x