Additional EMT added for Summer 2018
- Class Dates: June 1 through August 18 (day time class)
- Application period: March 1 though March 16 (end of business day)
Use EMT Application 2018. Applications must be hand delivered (neighbor island applicants – you must call health sciences counselor at 808-734-9224 to advise that the application will be mailed)
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) provides basic and advanced life support to patients in the pre-hospital emergency setting. Specific EMT functions include: establishment and maintenance of airway; administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); control of hemorrhage; treatment of shock; immobilization of fractures; bandaging of wounds; assisting in childbirth; management of patients with behavioral disorders; and initiation of treatment for poisoned and burned victims. Graduates are qualified to take the National Registry Examination for certification as an EMT- Basic and EMT-Intermediate (I-85) and may apply for work with an ambulance service.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- Certificate of Competence - Emergency Medical Technician (13 credits)The purpose of the Emergency Medical Technician Certificate of Competence program is to prepare students to provide basic life support to patients in the pre-hospital emergency care setting.
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Emergency Medical Technician with an ambulance service.
- Employers: Positions for EMTs are readily available in Hawai‘i.
- Island of O‘ahu Cohort Applicants: 808.734.9288; Fax:808.734.9126
- Island of Maui Cohort Applicants: Maui EMS Training Center; 808.244.4063
- Island of Hawai‘i Cohort Applicants: Hawai‘i EMS Training Center; 808.935.8002
The EMT program at KCC aims to prepare students with a didactic environment, but also effectively lively couples the classroom knowledge with hands on experience. I was able to assist various levels of emergency medical personnel and immediately apply what I learned in class with their guidance in real life situations. The opportunity to quickly be involved in emergent situations vividly reinforced what I studied in books. This EMT program not only teaches students to be exceptional EMTs, but stresses the importance of professionalism, preparedness, and how to relate to the public in their state of crisis or emergency.Arlene Koh