This curriculum is designed to prepare students to perform laboratory procedures in all areas of the clinical Laboratory. Students will learn to operate and maintain laboratory equipment. Graduates of this program will be eligible to challenge the national certification examination for Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) given by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP). When certified, the MLT graduate will meet the requirements for state licensure and meet minimum qualifications to work in the State of Hawaiʻi as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- Associate in Science - Medical Laboratory Technician (70-73 credits)This curriculum is designed to prepare students to perform many laboratory procedures and to operate and care for laboratory equipment. Graduates of this program will be eligible to challenge the national registry examination for MLT given by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP). When certified, the MLT graduate will meet the requirements to become licensed to work in the State of Hawaiʻi as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Certified Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician
Licensure and State Authorization
Once the student has completed the program and passed the licensure requirements, s/he will be licensed to practice as a Medical Laboratory Technician in the State of Hawaiʻi. Kapiʻolani Community College (Kapi‘olani CC) may not be able to confirm whether a particular program meets the professional licensure requirements outside of the State of Hawaiʻi. Kapi‘olani CC recommends the student contact the respective professional licensing board to determine the licensure requirements in the state in which the student lives.
Forms & Documents
- MLT Handbook
- MLT Admissions & Advising
- MLT Curriculum
- MLT Application
- Summer & Fall 2019 Info Session Schedule
- Spring 2019 Info Session Schedule
- Summer & Fall 2018 Health Careers Information Session Schedule
- Medical Laboratory Technician Program FAQ’s
- MLT Program Outcomes (Dec 2018)
- Program Standards for the Medical Laboratory Technician