RCP Program FAQ’s

Should I consider respiratory care as a career?

Yes, if you are highly responsible, work well with minimal supervision, can handle stressful situations, and are committed to helping people. As a practitioner, you will work with the most critically ill patients in the hospital ICU and emergency department. You must be compassionate and sensitive, and able to problem-solve and think critically. You must also pass required background checks and drug testing. For more information go to www.bls.gov. Then select ‘advanced search’ and type in your health science program of choice.

Is the program accredited?

Yes. It is accredited by:
Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
1248 Harwood Rd.
Bedford, Texas 76021-4244
Phone: 817.283.2835 or 1.800.874.5615

Are certifications available?

Yes. Graduates of the program are eligible to take the Entry-Level Examination of the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) and earn the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) credential. CRTs are eligible to take the Advanced-Practitioner Examinations and upon satisfactory completion receive the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential. The CRT credential is required in approximately 45 states for eligibility for a license to work as a respiratory care practitioner (RCP); a license issued by the state Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs is required to work as an RCP in Hawaiʻi. Graduates attain certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Basic Life Support (CPR), and Neonatal Resuscitation Protocol.

What degrees and certificates do you offer?

The Associate in Science (AS) degree.

Do I need to maintain a certain grade and grade point average in these courses?

Yes. For an AS degree you must earn a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (“C” average) or higher for all required courses and a grade of “C” or better in all RESP courses.

When can I enter the program?

You can enter in the summer term only.

Kapi‘olani Community College x