15 Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?


You can submit your online application in just minutes using apply.hawaii.edu. Remember to check the application deadlines below to make sure you get your application in on time. If you have any questions, feel free to email kapinfo@hawaii.edu or call us at 808-734-9555. We’re here to help.

When is the last day I can apply?

Admission Application Deadlines are:

  • Fall (August – December): August 1
  • Spring (January – May): December 15
  • Summer I (May – July): April 30
  • Summer II (July – August): June 15
What is the difference between registration and applying?

The difference between applying and registering is you must first apply for admittance to the college; after you are accepted and have submitted your TB and MMR clearances, then you’ll be eligible to register for classes.

How do I register for classes?

First-Year students who have no prior college experience must attend mandatory new student orientations. At your second orientation, you will meet with your academic advisor, who will help you register for your classes. Students can register for classes at www.star.hawaii.edu. STAR-GPS offers help guides for registering.

When can I register for classes?

A full list of important dates including first and last day of registration can be found on the academic calendars each semester.  However, first-year students will register at the second session of the new student orientation.

Why do I need to attend the New Student Orientation?

The New Student Orientation will provide information, support and registration assistance to ensure a successful start at Kapi‘olani Community College. Academic counselors and peer mentors are available to guide you through the orientation process. You can find them in Kīkaha o Laeʻahi Center in ʻIliahi 231.

Will someone help me with the registration process?

Yes! There are trained peer mentors along with a team of academic counselors providing guidance with the course selection process, you can find them in Kīkaha o Laeʻahi Center in ʻIliahi 231.

How do I know what courses to take?

The University of Hawai‘i system uses STAR-GPS, an online degree audit & registration system, which identifies and maps out by semester the courses needed to fulfill degree requirements. However, nothing beats meeting with an academic counselor to have that in depth conversation about your academic and personal goals.

How do I get my holds removed?

You may check your registration holds on MyUH Services online and search “check holds.” All holds must be cleared prior to registration. The MyUH Services link will also tell you which office to contact to get your hold removed.

How do I complete my TB (Tuberculosis) clearance and MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella) Immunizations?

Submit your TB and MMR information to Admissions in ‘Ilima Room 102. We accept immunization health record cards and official records from your private physician or medical clinic. Health requirement information can be found on our site.

I know I’m supposed to do something, but I don’t know what that is, who do I go to?

We advise you to make an appointment with your academic counselor so that you can begin the process of exploring career opportunities and answer any questions you may have.

Who is my counselor during my first year at KCC?

First-year Liberal Arts students, except for those with a concentration in Education, are assigned to a First-Year Counselor. Students with the last name A – K are assigned to Ana Bravo, bravo@hawaii.edu, and those with the last name L – Z are assigned to Logan Halley, halleyl@hawaii.edu. Both counselors are located in Kīkaha o Laeʻahi, ʻIliahi 231. For all other majors, please see the list of our counselors.

Can I get help with my FAFSA?

Yes! The Hoʻokele Student Success Peer Mentors in Kīkaha o Laeʻahi Center in ʻIliahi 231 will sit with you and assist you question-by-question until your FAFSA application is completed. For additional assistance with completing the (FAFSA), contact the Financial Aid Office in ‘Ilima 102 or email kapfao@hawaii.edu.

What classes will transfer?
  1. Kapi‘olani Community College accepts credits from institutions fully accredited by U.S. regional accrediting associations. Please review our catalog for additional information.
  2. The University of Hawai‘i has an online database where you can see how credits may transfer to any of the colleges or universities in the UH System.
What classes do I need to transfer to a four-year institution?

It is important to meet with an academic counselor to set up an academic plan. The courses you will need to transfer to a four-year institution will depend on the institution and the major you select. In general, most 100-level or higher general education courses transfer to a four-year institution.

Good to know

Tuition & Fees

Resident Per credit $126
Resident tuition and student fees $1542 (For one semester based on 12 credits)

Where to get individual help

Kīkaha o Laeʻahi Center, ʻIliahi 231

Kapi‘olani Community College x