Placement tests are a way to find the Math, English, Hawaiian, or foreign language class that best suits you.
Testing for Placement in Languages
The testing center provides placement testing for students learning Hawaiian or a foreign language . Available languages include Chinese, Filipino, French, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. If the language you plan to study is not listed, contact the Testing Center for more information.
Testing for Placement in English, Math & English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes
The placement tests for Math and English determines your eligibility to take other courses that require certain levels of Math or English. The ESL placement test helps to place you in the best class for ESL students. These tests are run under the COMPASS Placement Test system.
Should I Take A Placement Test?
You should take a placement test if you have not previously completed college courses in English, math, or another language. You should take language tests if you have prior knowledge or experience in the language you plan to study.
Location and Hours
Requesting Special Testing Accommodations
To request for special testing accommodations, contact the Disability Support Services Office.
To arrange for American Sign Language (ASL) testing, contact the ASL coordinator.
What to Bring To The Placement Test
- A photo ID, such as a drivers license, state ID, military ID, passport or UH student ID card.
- A document showing your student ID number. (This will be on your student ID card or your acceptance letter. If you do not have your student ID number yet, please go to Admissions and Records to request one.
Can I retake a placement test?
You may only retest with COMPASS tests. See further information below.
COMPASS Placement Tests
Kapiolani Community College (KCC) administers the ACT Computerized Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System (COMPASS) placement tests in English, English as a Second Language, and mathematics.
Important Test Information
- There is no time limit for the test. However, allow a minimum of two hours for testing if you intend to take the math, reading, and writing tests together. Please take your time, read all the directions and answer all questions.
- Each separate test takes an average of about 30 minutes to complete. You will need about 15 to 20 minutes to get set up and read the directions.
- You may take tests separately, one test on one day and return to take the second test. Inform the test monitor of your plans when you check in at the Testing Center.
- You will get the results minutes after completing the test. Ask the monitor on duty.
You may COMPASS placement tests at any University of Hawaii community college. Contact the community college for testing details and let them know that you are taking the test for KCC. You could also go to the University of Hawai`i System page and search for “compass testing” to locate sites.
For COMPASS testing on the U.S. mainland for KCC, please contact the KCC Testing Center at 808.734.9144. Visit the Kapiʻolani Community College Testing Center page for guidance on how to convert your test scores into KCC placement recommendations.
Retaking COMPASS Tests
The results of a COMPASS placement test are valid for two years.
For those who may re-test, they will be charged a $25.00 fee for each re-testing session, regardless of how many tests they re-take during any one session. Fees are payable by cash or check only. Make checks payable to: Kapi‘olani Community College Library.