Placement Testing Information (Revised 7/2017)
Placement Testing (ACCUPLACER)
Students who have been accepted to Kapi‘olani Community College for the upcoming semester and have not successfully completed previous college courses in English (or ESL) or Math should take the ACCUPLACER placement test at their earliest convenience. The ACCUPLACER placement test determines the level of English and math courses students are prepared to enter.
The test is computerized and not timed, but plan on spending at least 2-3 hours to complete both the Math and WritePlacer (English) or ESL sections. The first attempt for each section of the test is free. Your test results are provided to you upon completion of your test.
Placement Testing (Hawaiian and Other Foreign Languages)
For Hawaiian and other language tests, the test is computerized and not timed. Students should allow a minimum of two (2) hours to complete the language placement test. Other languages available at Kapi’olani Community College include Chinese, Filipino (Tagalog), French, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. Test results are provided to you upon completion of your test.
If the language you plan to study is not listed, contact the Testing Center for more information.
No appointments or reservations are required.
Current testing days and times can be found on the Testing Center website:
The Testing Center is located in Lama Library, Room 101.
Prospective KCC students residing outside of the State of Hawaii may take their ACCUPLACER test at an approved testing location (i.e. a college testing center, military education center, or public library that provides test proctoring services). Please view our ACCUPLACER remote testing requirements online at http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kcctest/accuplacer-remote.html and e-mail David Cabatu at firstname.lastname@example.org with a request for ACCUPLACER remote testing.
- Students must bring a photo ID and their UH student ID number. Your student ID number can be found on your acceptance letter.
- Test takers are monitored by security cameras at all times during testing. Cell phones and other electronic devices are not allowed. No communication between testers is allowed in the testing room.
- Personal handheld calculators, dictionaries, and other reference materials are not allowed during testing. During the math test, students will be allowed to use the onscreen calculator when it is available.
- Scratch paper and pencils will be provided by the Testing Center
- Children are not allowed in the testing room with test takers, so students should not bring them to the testing site for safety reasons and out of courtesy to other test takers.
Students with Disabilities
To request for special testing accommodations, please contact the Disability Student Support Office at 808.734.9552 or e-mail email@example.com.
Alternative Placement Test Measures
The University of Hawai‘i Community College System has adopted alternative placement measures in which students are able to use previous academic records and/or assessments to place into English and Math courses at UH System Community Colleges.
If you are interested in examining this option, please view the current requirements online at http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kcctest/alternativeplacement.html
Re-Testing (ACCUPLACER Math, WritePlacer, ESL Reading Tests)
Students may re-take the ACCUPLACER placement test with a $25.00 retest fee, per sitting, regardless of the number of tests taken in that one sitting. It is advisable for students intending to retest to review English and math and become familiar with test taking strategies and procedures before re-taking the placement test. Review information is below.
Students who have expired test scores (more than 2 years old) are exempt from paying the re-test fee.
Re-Testing (Hawaiian and Other Foreign Languages)
Language placement tests have no retest fees. However, there is a 60-day wait period before the test can be taken again.
Sample Test Questions and Content Overview
- ACCUPLACER Math Content Overview:
- ACCUPLACER WritePlacer Content Overview:
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics:
- Advanced Algebra & Functions:
Kapi‘olani Community College Testing Center
Lama Library, Room 101