Residency Regulations

Residency Requirements

Tuition for attending Kapi‘olani Community College is based on whether you are a resident or non-resident of the State of Hawai‘i. Residency for tuition purposes is based on a specific set of regulations and not only on whether you live in the state. The Residency Regulations may be viewed here.

Nonresident applicants must pay a $25.00 nonrefundable, nontransferable application fee. International students, please see Honda International Center for details on F-1 and Non-F1 student status.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in Hawai‘i, on active military duty, and their authorized dependents are exempt from this fee.

Admission Residency Regulations

Kapi‘olani Community College, like all public institutions of higher learning, has residency requirements for payment of resident tuition. These requirements are very complex, and students often have questions about their residency status as it applies to tuition. Hawai‘i state law has determined residency to be established by an independent adult, an emancipated minor, or a minor’s parents/guardian, who:

  • Has been physically present in the State of Hawai‘i for at least twelve months prior to the first day of the semester.
  • Has demonstrated an intent to make Hawai‘i a permanent residence/domicile.
  • The Residency Regulations may be viewed here.

Nonresidents: To Change Residency Status for Tuition Purposes

If you are currently a nonresident but have established permanent residency in Hawai‘i , you may petition for a change in residence status. Inquire at the Admissions and Records Office for details and deadline information.

To apply for a change in residency status:

  • Complete the Change of Residency form (available at KISC) and provide as much of the following information as possible. The following documents can assist in determining your residency status:
    • Either a Tax Clearance Certificate from the Hawai‘i State Tax Office certifying the year(s) in which you filed Hawai‘i resident income tax returns or a copy of your last professionally prepared Hawai‘i State income tax return.
    • Affidavit of Hawai‘i Voter Registration.
    • An employer contract or letter verifying the dates of employment.
    • Copy of your parent’s/guardian’s latest Hawai‘i personal income tax forms.
    • Long-term lease, rental, or home purchase agreement.
    • Statement from public and/or private agencies attesting to your residency for a specific period of time.

Special Notice to Currently Enrolled Nonresident Students at All UH Campuses

All nonresident students who were admitted in Fall 2005 semester and thereafter, may be affected by a change in the University of Hawai‘i’s policy regarding nonresident status for tuition purposes. Nonresident students who enter any campus of the University of Hawai‘i may not be allowed to change his/her residency status from nonresident to resident during any period in which he/she:

  • enrolled for 6 credits or more at any UH campus;
  • was absent from Hawai‘i for more than 30 days per year during school vacation periods;
  • received student financial assistance based on residency in another state; or
  • was a dependent of nonresident parent(s) or legal guardian.

The newly-adopted policy is in accordance with Chapter 20-4-8, Hawai‘i Administrative Rules:

Presence in Hawai‘i primarily to attend an institution of higher learning shall not create resident status. A nonresident student enrolled for six credits or more per term shall be presumed to be in Hawai‘i primarily for educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in Hawai‘i. A student may rebut this presumption of nonresidence if clear and convincing evidence is provided that the student has abandoned the student’s previous residence and has established a bona fide residence in Hawai‘i primarily for purposes other than educational.

To demonstrate the intent to make Hawai‘i your legal residency, filing a Hawai‘i resident personal income tax return is the primary indicia.

Kapi‘olani Community College x