The Senior Citizen Program was established by the Hawaiʻi state legislature and is currently administered at Kapiʻolani Community College (Kapiʻolani CC) through the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Kekaulike Center’s Noncredit Registration. The guidelines for this Senior Program are as follows:
- To qualify for this program, individuals must be Hawai‘i state residents and at least sixty years of age. Proof of state residency and age are required.
- Every senior must provide evidence of TB (tuberculosis) clearance before attending classes. The TB clearance must be less than one year old, effective the first day of the semester. Kapi‘olani CC accepts only the Mantoux Test (PPD) or report of a negative chest x-ray completed by a physician/clinic in the United States. If born after 1957, the MMR immunizations are also required. Lastly, one Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis) vaccine is required, must be administered on or after age 11. Submit Health Clearance with the Senior Program Registration form.
- The Senior Program is only available during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Some classes are not available under the Senior Program.
- Under this program, seniors may take a maximum of 2 courses per semester, or six credits.
- Registration into courses must first be approved by the faculty member teaching the course.
- Seniors registered under this program are not charged tuition, but some fees might apply.
- Seniors are enrolled into credit classes as an auditor, thus, they do not receive any academic credit, are not listed on official class lists, and do not receive a letter grade for the work they do.
- All registration requests must be signed, approved and received by Noncredit Registration by the end of the first week of instruction.
- In selecting courses, seniors are asked to refer to the Class Schedule.
- Senior Program participants are considered students and must follow the University of Hawai‘i’s student code of conduct. If applicable, holds must be cleared on all UH accounts before registration.
For questions or more information, please contact email@example.com or (808) 734-9889.