Commencement vs Graduation
While it is often referred to as “Graduation”, Commencement is a ceremony to celebrate those students who have or are projected to complete their graduation requirements over the recent academic period.
Graduation is the term used to mark the successful and official completion of a student’s graduation requirements for their chosen academic degrees and/or certificates. Degrees/certificates must be applied for at the Kekaulike Center – Graduation Section.
Dates to remember
- Thursday, April 7 & Friday, April 8, 2022 – Grad Fest on The Great Lawn and Ohia Cafeteria
- Sunday, May 1, 2022 – Deadline to Register for the Commencement Celebration
- Wednesday, May 4, 2022, 11:59 pm HST – The final deadline to submit the Application for Degree/Certificate Form for the Spring 2022 semester.
- Friday, May 13, 2022 – Commencement Celebration at Kapi‘olani Community College
Friday, May 13, 2022 @ Kapi‘olani CC Campus
The 2021-2022 Commencement Celebration will be held on campus. Graduates will be organized by programs and will participate in a walk-through ceremony. This will NOT be a full sit-down ceremony but the celebration will include processional, name reading, scroll presentation, conferral of a degree, tassel turn, a lei zone, and photo spots around campus.
What do you need to do?
- Register for commencement: Graduates who have successfully completed their Application for Degree/Certificate with KISC will receive an email with instructions on how to Register for Commencement. This email will be sent out soon.
- Check-in time: Once the majority of you have registered for commencement, we will be able to give you the exact time your program will need to check-in.
Updates: You will be receiving email messages from the Commencement Team with detailed instructions and information.
Purchase or rent a cap & gown
The Kapi’olani Bookstore is selling Cap & Gown sets, Honor Cords, KapCC Diploma Covers, and Valedictorian Stoles. If you qualify (or will qualify for Spring) for Honors or Valedictorian status, then you can purchase the cord, or stole, from the Bookstore directly.
KapCCʻs Phi Theta Kappa will be renting out caps and gowns for a fee. They will be at Grad Fest (04/07 & 04/08) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to put in a request. If you are interested in donating your cap and gown to Phi Theta Kappa after the celebration, we will be collecting them at the lobby of Lama Library.
For any questions regarding commencement celebration activities, please email email@example.com.