Nursing Counselors provide support to students for health career pathways to earn degrees and certificates. Students learn about admission requirements and criteria, program curriculum, program cost, financial aid, application for licensure/certificates, and transfer to baccalaureate programs.
Counseling & Advising:
For New, Returning, Transfer, and Program major advising
- Counselors: Crystalyn Hottenstein and Wes Maekawa
- Location: Kopiko 201
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 808-734-9305
- Advising Period: Online scheduled appointments on Tuesdays from 9:00am to 12:00pm via STAR Balance at http://go.hawaii.edu/Zv3 Online unscheduled appointment (first come, first serve) on Wednesdays from 1:00pm to 4:00pm via STAR Balance at http://go.hawaii.edu/3vu
Counselors are available to help you:
- Explore health career pathways through program advising and information sessions
- Select a health career program pathway
- Identify ‘professional qualities’ of your career pathway to ensure that you develop a good fit
- Select appropriate courses
- Develop an academic plan (STAR Graduation Pathway; semester-by-semester plan of courses)
- Achieve academic preparation for program admission
- Connect to resources for your academic and personal success
- Thrive for program graduation and employment
You should also meet with a counselor before:
- You register each semester
- You apply to a health program
- You are ready to graduate
- You prepare for employment
Credit Programs Degrees and Certificates:
- Associate In Science – Nursing (AS-NURS)
- Associate in Science – Nursing/Transition for Licensed Practical Nurse (AS-NURS/TRAN)
- Certificate of Achievement – Practical Nursing (CA-PRACN)
- Certificate of Competence – Adult Residential Care Home Primary Care Givers Program – ARCH (CO-CHO)
- Certificate of Competence – Long Term Care Nurse Aide -NURS 9 (CO-NALT)
Non-Credit Programs and Certificates: Health Education Non-credit (HENC) Programs:
Visit Nursing Program webpages.
Do you know what health career you may find satisfying? Do you know what the professional qualities of your profession/occupational cluster are? Do you know what your personal, academic, and career strengths are? Have you volunteered, engaged in service-learning, and/or enrolled in an introductory health professions course for your occupational pathway?
We encourage you to attend a program information session(s) and visit the program of study website. Furthermore, meet with a counselor who can help you understand what your career interest is, decide on appropriate next steps in the journey, and connect you to available campus and community resources.
- Kapi‘olani Community College Advising and Counseling Directory — Counselor directory with access to student support services for First-Year Experience (FYE) Program, Transfer Year Experience (TYE)/Pahihi Program, Disability Support Services Office, Ka‘au Program for Student Mental Health and Wellness, Kuilei Outreach Program (Running/Jump Start and Early Admit), Military & Veterans Program, Kapo’oloku Program for Native Hawaiian Student Success, Kūlia Mā Kapi‘olani – Native Hawaiian Career & Technical Education Project, Student Parent Program, TRIO Student Support Services and Academic Program advising and counseling.
- Health Career Programs — Access to health career programs offered by the Kapi‘olani Community College Health Sciences Department and the Emergency Medical Services Department.
- Health Education Non-credit (HENC) Programs — Access to programs specializing in preparation for health care training including short term, evenings, weekends, certificates, and certification examination.
- Financial Aid Office — Access information on financial aid including scholarships, grants, and student loans support
- Career Kokua — Access information on Hawai’i job market, occupations, education, and training programs
- Hawai‘i Career Explorer – to explore and learn more about nursing and other health care careers.
- Hawai‘i is Hiring – for prospective employment as a certified nurse aide, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and other health care professionals.
- Kapi‘olani Community College Employment Prep Center — Connects Kapi‘olani Community College students with job shadowing, volunteer and internship opportunities in the community.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook — Access classes offered at UH campuses in various semesters
- O*Net — Access career information on work tasks, competencies, interests, values, wages, and employment trends for occupations
Online Tools for Student Sucess
- Kapi‘olani Community College Catalog Access general information on programs and services, course descriptions and pre-requisites/co-requisites, academic policies and procedures
- STAR Track degree progress, academic planner, what if journey, transcripts
- UH CC’s College and Career Exploration — Online tool for interactive exploration of career pathways and related academic programs at the UH Community Colleges
- UH Class Availability Lists Access classes offered at UH campuses in various semesters
- UH System Academic Calendars Access UH system and campus-specific academic calendars
- UH System Tuition Schedule Access resident and non-resident tuition for UH campuses
- Kapi’olani Community College Office of Student Activities Access to student organizations, activities, and related resource support