Nursing Counselors provide support to students for health career pathways to earn degrees and certificates. Students learn about admission requirements and criteria, program curriculum, program cost, financial aid, application for licensure/certificates, and transfer to baccalaureate programs. .
- Counseling & Advising
- Nursing Programs
- Career Exploration
- Online Tools for Student Success
- Campus & Community Resources
Counseling & Advising
- Counselors: Crystalyn Hottenstein and Wes Maekawa
- Location: Kopiko 201
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 808-734-9305
- Walk-in hours: Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m.–12:00 noon and Wednesdays from 1:00–4:00 p.m. No appointment needed; walk-in availability on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Advising: For New, Returning, Transfer, and Program major advising
Counselors are available to help you:
- Explore health career pathways through program advising and information sessions
- Select a health career program pathway
- Identify ‘professional qualities’ of your career pathway to ensure that you develop a good fit
- Select appropriate courses
- Develop an academic plan (STAR Graduation Pathway; semester-by-semester plan of courses)
- Achieve academic preparation for program admission
- Connect to resources for your academic and personal success
- Thrive for program graduation and employment
You should also meet with a counselor before:
- You register each semester
- You apply to a health program
- You are ready to graduate
- You prepare for employment
Credit Programs Degrees and Certificates:
- Associate In Science – Nursing (AS-NURS)
- Associate in Science – Nursing/Transition for Licensed Practical Nurse (AS-NURS/TRAN)
- Certificate of Achievement – Practical Nursing (CA-PRACN)
- Certificate of Competence – Adult Residential Care Home Operator – ARCH (CO-CHO)
- Certificate of Competence – Long Term Care Nurse Aide -NURS 9 (CO-NALT)
Non-Credit Programs and Certificates: Health Education Non-credit (HENC) Programs:
- Certificate of Competence – Surgical Technology Program (CO-SURG)
- Certificate of Competence – Adult Residential Care Home Operator for Licensed Practical Nurses & Registered Nurses – (CO-ARCH LPN/RN)
Visit Nursing Program webpages.
Do you know what health career you may find satisfying? Do you know what the professional qualities of you profession/occupational cluster are? Do you know what your personal, academic and career strengths are? Have you volunteered, engaged in service learning, and/or enrolled in an introductory health professions course for your occupational pathway?
We encourage you to attend program information session(s) and visit the program of study website. Furthermore, meet with a counselor who can help you understand what your career interest are, decide on appropriate next steps in the journey, and connect you to available campus and community resources.
Online Tools for Student Success
- Kapi‘olani Community College Catalog Access general information on programs and services, course descriptions and pre-requisites/co-requisites, academic policies and procedures
- STAR Track degree progress, academic planner, what if journey, transcripts
- UH Class Availability Lists Access classes offered at UH campuses in various semesters
- UH System Academic Calendars Access UH system and campus specific academic calendars
- UH System Tuition Schedule Access resident and non-resident tuition for UH campuses
- Kapi’olani Community College Office of Student Activities Access to student organizations, activities, and related resource support
Campus and Community Resources
- Kapi‘olani Community College Advising and Counseling Directory — Counselor directory with links to departments, units, academic programs, and student support services
- Health Career Programs — Access to programs in health careers including Associate degree in Medical Assisting, Medical Lab Technician, Occupational Therapy Assistants, and many more.
- Health Education Non-credit (HENC) Programs — Access to programs specializing in preparation for health care training including short term, evenings, weekends, certificates, and certification examination.
- Financial Aid Office — Access information on financial aid including scholarships, grants, and student loans support
- Kulia Ma Kapi‘olani Native Hawaiian Career and Technical Education — Access the native Hawaiian Career and Technical Education Program (NHCTEP) is a federal grant administered as a consortia through Alu Like, Inc. and has been on the KCC campus for 20 years. Under the current grant, the project goal is to provide services to 75 Native Hawaiian students in career & technical education programs to succeed in attaining certificates and degree to transition to the workforce or additional training as desired.
- UH CC’s College and Career Exploration — Online tool for interactive exploration of career pathways and related academic programs at the UH Community Colleges
- Targeted Population and International Student Counselors — Access to student support counselors for First Year Experience (FYE), Transfer Year Experience (TYE), Deaf Studies/Deaf Education (CORE) and Deaf Students, Disability Support Services Office, Honda International Center, Kuilei Outreach Program, Running & Jump Start, &Early Admit, Mental Health and Wellness, Military & Veterans Program, Kapo‘oloku Program for Native Hawaiian Student Success, Kulia ma Kapi‘olani – Native Hawaiian Career & Technical Educational Project, Student Parents Program, and TRIO Student Support Services
- Career Kokua — Access information on Hawai’i job market, occupations, education, and training programs
- Hawai‘i Workforce Infonet — Access labor market statistics and trends in the Hawai‘i economy
- Kapi‘olani Community College Employment Prep Center — Connects Kapi‘olani Community College students with job shadowing, volunteer, and internship opportunities
- Occupational Outlook Handbook — Access classes offered at UH campuses in various semesters
- O*Net — Access career information on work tasks, competencies, interests, values, wages and employment trends for occupations
Come Visit Us!
- Room: Kopiko 201
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 808-734-9305
- Tuesdays from 9:00 – 12:00 noon Wednesdays from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. No appointments needed; walk-in availability Tuesdays & Wednesdays