Applications accepted now!
APPLICATIONS for the 2018-19 Academic Year are now being accepted. DEADLINE for the 2018-19 Academic Year is MAY 1, 2018.
The KAPO’OLOKU NATIVE HAWAIIAN STUDENT IN TRANSITION GRANT is awarded to students who are attending Kapi‘olani Community College and are transitioning from one stage in life to another. Students who are awarded will receive one semester of tuition, up to twelve credits. This award can supplement award of other grants and scholarships.
- Must attend or intend to enroll at Kapi‘olani Community College (KapCC), preference given to continuing students
- Must be of Hawaiian Ancestry, as declared on common application
- Must have financial need, as determined by federal guidelines, by completion of the FAFSA
- Can be part time enrolled (minimum 6 credits), preference given to full time students (12 credits)
- Are in transition* (see below for description of transition)
- Have served the community
Student in Transition
The Kapo‘oloku Program acknowledges that students go through many changes throughout their educational journey. During these times, it may be difficult to keep track of what needs to be done. We feel that if students are having a challenging time and need a little boost, this grant can help keep you on course towards graduation. This is a one-time grant provided as a tuition waiver for students who are eligible and can explain their need in transition. Examples of transitions that will be considered are:
- Transitioning from KapCC to a 4-year college or work (be enrolled in last year or semester at KapCC)
- Welcoming a new member into the family
- Separating or divorcing from a spouse
- Changing jobs or majors
- Transitioning from high school to KapCC
Scholarship awardees will be notified by email
Award determinations will be made by the Kapo’oloku Program. Students will be notified of awards by email to the hawaii.edu account. Awards will be dispersed through the Kapi‘olani Community College Financial Aid office.