Instructor – Languages, Linguistics and Literature
I was born in Nicaragua, a small nation in Central America, and grew up in Miami, Fl. My wife Laurel and I moved to Honolulu from Miami in 2017. I have been teaching college-level courses since 2003. One of the most powerful influences in my life has been confronting what I think of as invisible walls of fear that separate one ethnic group from another, immigrant from native, rich from poor. I'm interested in understanding and breaking down these walls. I believe my job as an educator involves nurturing dialogue in a safe classroom environment, helping shape and share powerful stories, and trying to make the academic experience meaningful in everyday life.
(808) 734-9151 (fax)
||M.A. Literature 2002, Florida International University, English
B.S. Print Journalism 1998, Florida International University, Journalsim
- Florida Campus Compact Engaged Scholarship Faculty Award, 2017
- Peace Corps Spirit of Service-Learning Award, Higher Education Division, 2016
- Service-Learning Community Partner of the Year with WOW Center, Miami Dade College, Institute for Civic Engagement and Democracy, 2015
- Endowed Teaching Chair Award, Miami Dade College, 2015
- Sr. Associate Professor, Communictions, Arts & Philosophy Dept.,Miami Dade College, Miami, FL, 2003-17
Environmental sustainability, health, mass media literacy, tv drama.
- Short Story "Poetry School" published in textbook for pre-service teachers entitled Who Really Speaks for Justice? Finding Our Voices in the Noise of Hegemonic Education, Kendall Hunt, 2015
- Poem "School" and essay "The Imagination Bubble: Worlds Within Worlds" published in textbook for pre-service teachers entitled Confessions of a White Educator: In Search of Justice and Diversity, Kendall Hunt, 2012.
- Co-creator, -writer and -publisher of The Dreamer, a newsletter for Tengo Un Sueño project, 2012-13
- Wrote, edited and published Urban Focus, a quarterly newsletter, and maintained website as Publications Director for Center for Urban Education & Innovation, Florida International University, 2003-2009
- Freelance work with South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Miami New Times, 50+ articles published, 1997-2001
- "Making Life More Beautiful and Complicated: Service-Learning Within Earth Literacy Infrastructures," Conference on Community Writing, Boulder, CO, 2015
- “Dancing with Chaos: Leadership in Difficult Times,” National Parent-Teacher Association Emerging Minority Leaders Conference, 2007 & 2008
- “Grounding Math, Language, and Art in Social Justice: One Center’s Commitment,” National Conference of the National Urban Alliance for Effective Education, Minneapolis, MN, 2007
- “‘When I Got There, I Knew What to Expect’: Confronting Prejudice in the English Classroom,” Gulf-South Summit on Service-Learning and Civic Engagement through Higher Education, Coco Beach, FL, 2005 and Getting Results: Best Practices in Urban Education, Urban Education Expo, Miami Beach, FL 2004.