Course Program of Study

What is Course Program of Study (CPOS)?

Course Program of Study is a process that helps our school stay in compliance with Title IV (federal) guidelines regarding financial aid.  Guidelines state that financial aid can only be awarded for courses that are required for the degree or certificate you are enrolled in.

These guidelines make it very important to Make It Count and take the right classes for your degree requirements.  Doing so will help you ensure your courses may be eligible for financial aid and will also help you finish your degree faster!

  • How do I know what degree or certificate I am enrolled in?  You can see your degree plan in your STAR account.  Your major will be listed at the top of your GPS Registration page.

    GPS Registration AA LBRT - Nursing track

  • How do I know what courses count for this degree / certificate?  Your STAR account will be a helpful tool in displaying the required courses for your degree or certificate.  They are listed in your STAR Graduation Pathway.  You can also click on a requirement for more details regarding what courses count for that requirement.
    STAR panel
  • What if I need to change my degree or certificate? To change your degree or certificate, you will need to complete a Change in Major Form with the Admissions Office. Submit the completed form via scan/email to If you find that your degree or certificate is incorrect, it is very important that you make this change as soon as possible.

How do I know if my classes count for financial aid?

When you register, be sure to check your STAR GPS Registration.  Any course listed as NOT IN PLAN or Non-Applicable will not count for financial aid.  Here is how the courses will appear in your STAR:

Star screenshot with NOT in  plan label

If you see a course labeled as NOT IN PLAN or Non-Applicable, don’t worry!  We encourage you to email or make an appointment with your counselor as soon as possible to determine the best course of action.

You can contact or schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Why would a class not count for financial aid?

Generally, a course will display as NOT IN PLAN because it does not count as a requirement for the degree.  This could be because the course is not part of the degree plan or because you took a course(s) that already fulfills that requirement.

A course will display as Non-Applicable when it is a repeat; however, some repeats can count and will be adjusted accordingly.  See the next section for details on repeats that can count for financial aid.

Can I repeat classes and still have them count for financial aid?

Per Title IV guidelines, you may repeat an applicable course once for financial aid if you previously earned a passing grade.  Please see below for some examples of when a repeat of a passed course may or may not be counted towards financial aid:

Course Examples 1st attempt 2nd attempt 3rd attempt Course counts for financial aid?
Example 1 F D Enrolled Yes
Example 2 C Enrolled Yes
Example 3 D C Enrolled No
Example 4 D F Enrolled No
Example 5 W F Enrolled Yes
Example 6 D W Enrolled No
Example 7 W Enrolled Yes
Example 8 W D Enrolled Yes

In order for a repeat course to be considered for financial aid, the course must be taken at Kapi‘olani CC.  Repeat courses taken at another UH campus will not be considered.

IMPORTANT: In regards to repeats, Kapi‘olani CC will use the highest grade awarded as your standing grade. For more information, refer to the College Policies & Regulations section of the catalog.

What about courses that can be repeated for credit?

Courses that can be repeated for credit – meaning they can count more than once – can be counted for financial aid.  Be sure to check with your counselor if a repeatable course will be counted towards a requirement in your degree.

What if I am taking courses at another University of Hawai‘i campus?

A course taken at another UH campus may be considered for financial aid at Kapi‘olani CC if the following requirements are met:

  1. Your home campus is Kapi‘olani CC, and you are enrolled for at least one course at Kapi‘olani CC.
  2. The course taken at another UH campus must apply to your Kapi‘olani CC degree (qualify under Course Program of Study).
  3. Complete a Concurrent Enrollment Form and have this signed and approved by your counselor.

Kapi‘olani Community College x