The Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Achievement Award (IDEAAA) was created as an incentive for Kapi‘olani Community College (KCC) students of high academic ability to attend UHM and graduate with a degree in Economics. The Award is to provide financial support to academically outstanding KCC students who are in their last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KCC, including ECON 130 and ECON 131.
To qualify for the Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Achievement Award, the applicant must meet the criteria outlined below:
- Currently enrolled in the last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KCC, including ECON 130 and ECON 131.
- Maintain at least a 3.3 out of 4.0 cumulative grade point average in the 60 UHM-transferable semester credit hours.
- Be enrolled at UHM as an Economics major, evidenced by having received a “Declaration of Major” from the Economics Department chair by March 1 for Fall admission and by September 1 for Spring admission.
Note: Awards are subject to approval by the IDEAAA Committee based on availability of funding.
The IDEAAA is a one-time $1,000 award for students who have been accepted as an Economics major at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa.
Note: The award amount may vary from year to year depending upon the amount of funds available. Payment is made directly to the student. Students who obtain other scholarships and awards are still eligible to receive the IDEAAA.
How To Apply
Students must complete the application available at the KCC Website and mail it with supporting documentation to the Chair of the IDEAA Committee. Each candidate must submit his/her application on the form provided in pdf format. Applications and all supporting material must be sent directly to the IDEAAA committee via email and must be received by March 1 for Fall admission to UHM and by September 1 for Spring admission. Applications must include:
- A letter of intent from the applicant;
- An endorsement form completed by a KCC Economics faculty; and
- One confidential letter of recommendation.
The Committee will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders, and as contributors to the local, national, and global economy. Assessment will be based on academic merit, leadership potential and character. Preference will be given to candidates who display a potential to make a significant contribution to their own society. The Committee will also look for strong motivation and seriousness of purpose, including the presentation of a specific and realistic academic program. The Committee’s decision is final and there is no appeal process.
The IDEAAA Committee will be chaired by the Senior Economic Faculty and will be limited to the following Kapi‘olani Community College Faculty:
- Social Science Department Chair
- Senior Economics Faculty
- Senior Education Faculty
- If either the Senior Economics Faculty or the Education Faculty becomes Department Chair, then the two remaining faculty will choose the third members from among the Social Sciences Faculty.
IDEAAAs Selection Committee
c/o Dept. of Social Sciences Chair
4303 Diamond Hd. Rd., Kalia 101
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96816