The Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Award and the Social Sciences (IDEAAS2) was created as an incentive for Kapi‘olani Community College (KapCC) students of high academic ability to attend UHM and graduate with a degree in Economics, or major in any field of study within the College of Social Sciences at UHM. The Award is to provide financial support to academically outstanding KapCC students who are in their last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KapCC, including ECON 130 or ECON 131.
To qualify for the Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Award and the Social Sciences, the applicant must meet the criteria outlined below:
- Be currently enrolled in the last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KapCC, including ECON 130 or ECON 131.
- Maintain at least a 3.0 out of 4.0 cumulative grade point average in the 60 UHM-transferable semester credit hours.
- Have completed a “Declaration of Major” form indicating a major in the Social Sciences that has been verified by the UH-Mānoa Advising Center.
Note: Awards are subject to approval by the IDEAAS2 Committee based on the availability of funding.
IDEAAS2 is a one-time $3,000 award for students who have been accepted as an Economics major or major in any discipline in the Social Sciences at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
Note: The award amount may vary from year to year depending upon the amount of funds available. Payment is made directly to the student. Students who obtain other scholarships and awards are still eligible to receive the IDEAAS2.
How To Apply
Students must complete the application package provided below (see links) including emailing the link for the recommendation form to the appropriate faculty. Applications and all supporting material must be sent directly to the IDEAAS2 committee via email and must be received by April 20 for Fall admission to UHM and by November 20 for Spring admission.
Applications must include:
- A completed application form (Which includes your completed PDF of the UH-Mānoa Declaration Major Form)
- A Faculty recommendation form completed by a KapCC Social Sciences faculty
The Committee will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders, and as contributors to the local, national, and global economy. Assessment of your application is based on academic merit, leadership potential, and character.
The IDEAAS2 Committee is chaired by a Social Sciences Senior Faculty Member and will be limited to the following Kapi‘olani Community College Faculty:
- Social Sciences Senior Faculty
- Department of Social Sciences Faculty member
- Maida Kamber Center Counselor
IDEAAS2 Selection Committee
c/o Dept. of Social Sciences Chair
4303 Diamond Hd. Rd., Kalia 101
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96816