The Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Award and the Social Sciences (IDEAAS2) was created as an incentive for Kapi‘olani Community College (KapCC) students of high academic ability to attend UHM and graduate with a degree in Economics, or major in any field of study within the College of Social Sciences at UHM. The Award is to provide financial support to academically outstanding KapCC students who are in their last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KapCC, including ECON 130 or ECON 131.
To qualify for the Ibrahim Dik Economics Academic Award and the Social Sciences, the applicant must meet the criteria outlined below:
- Be currently enrolled in the last semester to complete 60 transferable credits at KapCC, including ECON 130 or ECON 131.
- Maintain at least a 3.0 out of 4.0 cumulative grade point average in the 60 UHM-transferable semester credit hours.
- Have received a “Declaration of Major” form from a UH-Manoa College of Social Sciences Department Chair for the upcoming semester
Note: Awards are subject to approval by the IDEAAS2 Committee based on the availability of funding.
IDEAAS2 is a one-time $3,000 award for students who have been accepted as an Economics major or major in any discipline in the Social Sciences at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa.
Note: The award amount may vary from year to year depending upon the amount of funds available. Payment is made directly to the student. Students who obtain other scholarships and awards are still eligible to receive the IDEAAS2.
How To Apply
Students must complete the application available at the KapCC Website and mail it with supporting documentation to the Chair of the IDEAAS2 Committee. Each candidate must submit his/her application on the form provided in pdf format. Applications and all supporting material must be sent directly to the IDEAAS2 committee via email and must be received by March 1 for Fall admission to UHM and by September 1 for Spring admission. Applications must include:
- A completed application form
- A Faculty recommendation form completed by a KapCC Social Sciences faculty
- Applicant must also submit a “Declaration of Major” form from a UH-Manoa College of Social Sciences Department Chair
The Committee will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders, and as contributors to the local, national, and global economy. Assessment of your application is based on academic merit, leadership potential and character.
The IDEAAS2 Committee is chaired by the Social Sciences Department Chair and will be limited to the following Kapi‘olani Community College Faculty:
- Social Sciences Department Chair
- Department of Social Sciences Faculty member
- Maida Kamber Center Counselor
IDEAAS2 Selection Committee
c/o Dept. of Social Sciences Chair
4303 Diamond Hd. Rd., Kalia 101
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96816