Summer Financial Aid

Financial aid for the summer term is limited to only federal aid: Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Stafford Loans. Due to limitations on the eligibility of these federal aid programs, not all students are eligible for financial assistance during the summer.

Generally, students who have applied/received financial aid during the Fall and/or Spring and who continue to meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress can be considered for assistance.

Federal Pell Grant

Note: Receiving Federal Pell Grant during any semester will count toward your 600% Pell Grant Lifetime Limit.

Available to qualified students who enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits) who may exceed their full-year scheduled award OR for students who enroll less than half-time (1-5 credits) and did not utilize their full-year scheduled Pell Grant eligibility during the Fall and Spring semester.

Example 1: If you received a Pell Grant for full-time enrollment both Fall and Spring you are ONLY ELIGIBLE for a Summer Pell if you enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits).

Example 2: You received a Pell Grant at less than full-time enrollment during the Fall and/or full-time or less-than-full-time enrollment in the Spring you may have Pell Grant eligibility remaining.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Students must enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits) for the summer term to be eligible for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan. You may enroll for 3 credits in summer I and 3 credits in summer II, 6 credits in summer I, or 6 credits in summer II. This loan has annual maximums based on the student’s grade level and whether the student is dependent (parental information required on the FAFSA) or independent (parental information not required on the FAFSA). In determining the maximum annual limit that you may borrow, KCC considers a financial aid year to begin with Fall and end with Summer.

Class Level Dependent Student Independent Student Maximum Subsidized
  (Sub + UnSub) (Sub + UnSub) (Dependent or Independent
Freshman $ 5,500 $ 9,500 $ 3,500
Sophomore $ 6,500 $ 10,500 $ 4,500

If you wish to be considered for summer aid, please review and submit the Summer Financial Aid Request Form.

If you are applying for a loan, you must submit the Summer Loan Request Form

If you haven’t already done so, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  See “Federal Stafford Loan Program Information” if youʻre interested in loans.

For more information about Financial Aid, please contact the Kekaulike Center, Financial Aid Section. MyUH provides the UH community with personalized access to UH Information and Services. These include Academic Services (class schedules, registration, transcripts), My Courses (courses tools, class lists, grades), Calendar, and Email.

Kapi‘olani Community College x