I Need Help. What Do I Do?

If in immediate danger, call 911.

For immediate 24/7 assistance related to sexual assault, call:
The Sex Abuse Treatment Center  (808) 524-7273

Trained SATC counselors provide confidential support information and advocacy on the phone.

It is completely normal if you’re not sure if you want to report an incident of sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking, and you have the right to receive information about your options so that you can make an informed decision. You also have the right not to report the incident to Kapi‘olani Community College (Kapi‘olani CC) or to the police if you do not want the incident to be investigated. You can speak to Kapi‘olani CC’s confidential resources to discuss options and resources.

Here are some important things for you to know, especially when you are not sure what to do:

It was NOT your fault.

People often blame themselves for not getting out of a situation. Know that what happened was not your fault, and you did nothing to deserve or “cause” another person to hurt you.

Asking for help is not a weakness.

Help is available for you on campus and within the community. Do not be afraid to ask for it, whether the incident happened today, last week, or last year.

You may want to report the attack to the police or the College.

This decision is up to you. If you would like to report an incident of sexual violence or sexual assault, please use our Student of Concern Reporting Form.

In the immediate aftermath of an assault, you should try to preserve all evidence of the attack:

  • Do not bathe, wash your hands or clothes, brush your teeth, eat or smoke.
  • If you change your clothes, put them in a paper bag and bring them with you to your medical exam.
  • If you are still in the location where the attack occurred, do not clean or straighten up or remove anything.
  • If you suspect you were a victim of a rape drug, medical care for testing and collecting evidence as soon as possible is important. These drugs leave your system very quickly.
  • Consider writing down all the details you can recall about the attack and the person who hurt you.

While you may not know if you want to report the attack today, taking these steps will help preserve important evidence if you do ultimately decide to report the attack to the police or College officials. No matter what, be sure to take advantage of support options on and/or off campus.

Take time to take care of yourself.

  • It is common to feel traumatized, both physically and emotionally. You may be feeling anxious or find yourself having difficulty sleeping or eating. Or maybe you’d simply like to speak with someone in a confidential setting. Whether or not you decide to report the attack, consider seeking medical intervention for your own safety and peace of mind. Make an appointment with Kapi‘olani CC’s licensed mental health counselor, Dr. Lori Ferreira (808) 734-9585.
  • You can call The Sex Abuse Treatment Center (808) 524-7273, a 24-hour hotline. They can offer you the support, care, and advocacy you may need right now. They can also send a counselor to meet you at Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women and Children. There, you will receive special treatment from one of their doctors. All of their services are free and confidential.
  • You can go to Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women and Children (808) 983-6000 emergency room at 1319 Punahou Street. This hospital provides medical care for sexual assault victims, and not all hospitals provide the specialized forensic care you’ll need. A medical examination is important because it can protect you from possible injuries, STDs, and pregnancy resulting from the assault.

Do things at your own pace and in your own time.

  • There is no “right” way to respond to an incident of sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking, and you should surround yourself with people who support and honor your choices.
  • Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist victims with the emotional and physical impacts of an assault. For therapeutic services, you can reach Kapi‘olani CC’s licensed mental health counselor, Cindy Melim (808) 734-9585.
  • We provide confidential resources to connect you with someone to speak with privately.
  • To get information about legal issues you can contact The Sex Abuse Treatment Center (808) 524-7273 or the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (800) 656-4673 (HOPE)

For community resources, visit our Resources page.

Kapi‘olani Community College x