The Accounting program at Kapi‘olani Community College prepares students for paraprofessional accounting positions in small business, public accounting, private industry, nonprofits and governmental organizations. Students get practical, hands-on experience practicing workplace-relevant skills and techniques.
As a capstone to the accounting degree Kapi‘olani Community College offers a specially designed class that allows students to gain actual job experience while earning credits towards graduation. Alternative courses provide students with hands-on experience with workplace-relevant simulations that accurately model the demands of the workplace.
The Associate in Science, Accounting degree articulates to the University of Hawai‘i-West O‘ahu towards the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Business Administration, Accounting (effective Fall 2008).
Degree and Certificate Programs
The Kapi‘olani CC accounting program offers an associate in science (AS) degree and three certificates.
- Associate in Science – Accounting (60 credits)
- Certificate of Achievement – Accounting (30 credits)
- Certificate of Competence – Payroll Preparer (15 credits)
- Certificate of Competence – Tax Preparer (15 credits)
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Accounts Clerk, Accountant, Bookkeeper, Payroll Administrator, Payroll Clerk, and Tax Preparers
- Employers: The United States Department of Labor publishes the Occupational Outlook Handbook with additional information about careers in accounting.
- Counselors/Advisors: Lori Sakaguchi, Student’s last name: A-L, 808.734.9017
- Counselors/Advisors: Cynthia Kimura, Student’s last name: M-Z, 808.734.9107
- Accounting Program Coordinator: Calvin Tan