First Time StudentsThe Launchpad for New Students at Kapiʻolani Community College
5 Simple Steps
As with every new voyage, sometimes getting started is the hardest part. Don’t get discouraged, because FYE is here to help you figure it all out. You’ll be on your way in no time. And it all starts with five simple steps. No worries. We’ve got your back.
Starting college for the first time can feel overwhelming, no joke. So let us walk you through some of the essential steps needed to get you on your way. And remember, reach out to a counselor for help if you have any questions or just need some guidance along the way.
Step 1: Submit an online application
- Complete the Online Application
- If you are a Hawaiʻi Resident or an active duty Military or eligible Military Dependent stationed in Hawai‘i, there is no application fee
- To apply for the Military Non-Resident Exemption, submit a copy of Military Orders
- There is a non-refundable $25 application fee for non-Hawaiʻi residents
- Information about Residency for Tuition Purposes
- Additional information for International Students
- Application Deadlines (REMINDER! The following deadlines do not apply to International Students)
- Fall term: August 1
- Spring term: December 15
Step 2: Check Acceptance Letter
An acceptance letter from Kapiʻolani CC will be sent to the email address you listed on your application. If you did not receive an acceptance letter, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. In your acceptance letter, there is more information about your next steps.
Step 3: Get a UH Username
Upon acceptance, you can create a MyUH Portal Account by visiting: myuh.hawaii.edu. Click on “Get a UH username” and fill out the Check Status Form. You will then be asked to create a UH Username, Secret Questions, and a Password. This account allows you to register for classes, check your financial aid status, check grades, make online payments, sign-up for payment plans, and much more!
Step 4: Complete Online New Student Orientation
Find additional information about what you need to do before you can register for classes at the First Year Experience Online New Student Orientation.
Step 5: Stay in Touch with Your Counselor
As a first-year student, you are required to meet with your counselor(s) before you can register for the second semester to make sure you are taking the right classes to meet your goals. We also recommend that you meet with your counselor at least once every semester until graduation and/or transfer.