The Associate in Science degree in Natural Science at Kapi‘olani Community College prepares students to transfer to four-year institutions. This 60 credit program provides clear, explicit, coherent pathways for students intending to transfer into Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) majors at baccalaureate institutions. The program provides curricula that focus on basic science and mathematics as well as more advanced research and mentoring experiences. The degree provides students with undergraduate research opportunities as they move through STEM curricular pathways. Targeted advising and appropriate course sequencing enable efficient transfer of STEM students.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- Associate In Science, Natural Science with a concentration in Biological Sciences (60 credits)
- Associate In Science, Natural Science with a concentration in Physical Sciences (60 credits)
- Associate In Science, Natural Science with a concentration in Information and Communications Technology (60 credits)
- Associate In Science, Natural Science with a concentration in Engineering (60 credits)
- Certificate of Achievement in Biotechnology (43 credits)Biotechnology is a commercial, medical or research endeavor that uses living cells or their components to create useful products. The applications of biotechnology are widely employed in pharmaceuticals, fermentation technologies agriculture, the diagnosis and prevention of disease, vaccine development and production, forensics and bioremediation. The Certificate of Achievement in Biotechnology prepares students for entry-level employment in the biotechnology industry and research labs. Students learn basic laboratory skills, equipment operation and maintenance, quality control, safety and good manufacturing practices.
- Certificate of Achievement in STEM Education (37-39 credits)The Certificate of Achievement in STEM Education provides a curricula that focus on basic Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) as well as a solid knowledge and skills in Education. This Certificate provides a clear pathway for students planning to be secondary school educators in STEM.
Potential Careers and Employers
- Careers: Wildlife Outreach, Public Education, Research & Development, lab tech, production technician, natural science manager, natural resource specialist et al.
- Employers: The Hawai‘i Fish Trust, Kauhale Kipaipai/Kamehameha Schools, U.S. Department of Defense
- Maida Kamber Center
- ‘Ilima 104; Monday-Thursday: 8:30am – 4:30pm (unless otherwise specified due to professional development meetings)
Download forms & documents at the STEM Program Toolbox.